American Pilgrimage, a TV series featuring Rabbi Brad Hirschfield, takes viewers into the homes, mosques, and sites of leading imams and Muslim religious thinkers from across North America. Aired on Bridges TV (American Muslim TV Network), the series takes Rabbi Hirschfield on the road, providing an in-depth look at the issues dividing people of faith, the teachings and texts which shape their beliefs, and the big questions we grapple with as Americans and as human beings.
Offering a kind of "Charlie Rose meets Charles Kuralt" format, the series promises genuine insight and honest encounter that is both hard-hitting and deeply respectful. Moreover, it presents something very different — a rabbi interviewing imams at their locations for bridge building. The imams represent a cross section of the Muslim faith, as well as the Bridges audience. Visiting such cities as Halifax, Detroit, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and New York, where there are large Muslim populations and
some of the best known imams, the program captures the essence of each place.
"We are very excited about this landmark series allowing me to go head on with some of North America’s leading Muslim leaders about some of the most serious issues on the American and global religious landscapes — especially those which are important to the future of the Jewish community and the State of Israel." said Rabbi Hirschfield, author of You Don’t Have to Be Wrong for Me to be Right: Finding Faith Without Fanaticism, and President of CLAL–The National Jewish Center for Learning and Leadership.
Created in 2001, Bridges TV reaches over three million homes.
To view American Pilgrimage episodes, please select from the following list of twelve shows that have aired:
1. Rabbi Hirschfield interviews Imam Omar Abu-Namous of the Islamic Cultural Center of NYC.
2. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Khalid Latif, NYU Chaplain.
3. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Ali Elahi of Detroit’s Islamic House of Wisdom. (Part 1)
4. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Yahya Hendi, the Muslim Chaplain of Georgetown University, an Imam of the Islamic Society of Frederick, MD. (Part 1)
5. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Johari Abdul Malik, Director of Outreach at Dar al Hijra Islamic Center in Falls Church, VA. (Part 1)
6. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Abdullah El Amin, executive director of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Michigan in Detroit (Part 1)
7. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Abdul Latif Azom, of the Islamic Center of North Detroit (Masjid al-Falah)
8. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Abdul Jamal Badawi, of the Muslim community in Halifax, Nova Scotia and Professor Emeritus at St. Mary’s University in Halifax
9. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Zaid Shakir, an African-American Muslim speaker and intellectual from Hayward, California, who serves as a scholar-in-residence and lecturer at Zaytuna Institute
10. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Yahya Hendi of a Muslim Chaplain of Georgetown University and an Imam of the Islamic Society of Frederick, Maryland
11. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Johari Abdul-Malik, who is the Director of Outreach at the Dar Al Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Virginia
12. Rabbi Hirschfield speaks with Imam Muhammed Ali Elahi of Detroit’s Islamic House of Wisdom